Monday, July 28, 2008

Excel Queen! - 3 Month Food Supply

Well, when I was in college I took a little course on excel. Little did I know I would use it over and over again, giving me the title "Excel Queen!" No seriously... hehe I have been labeled the Excel Queen (or similar title) in every one of my jobs since I graduated college. At Mercer HR, I was always doing health benefit spreadsheets. At MyFamily.com, I was in charge or spreadsheets for stats. For our Weiss Tech Hockey business, I'm constantly using excel for rosters, accounting etc. In loans and real estate, I am always helping my co-workers manage their databases. Since I have been at home more, I haven't had the need to use excel as much TILL NOW!

So we've been hearing lately, about food prices going up, shortages here and there and the big need of having extra food on hand - specifically a 3 month food supply of food you normally eat. Well, I decided it was about time, I should just get on it. Well I had a hard time figuring out how to plan what I needed to buy. My sister-in-law and I are doing a website about how to make getting your food storage EASY - So for all the people following our site, and for myself, I created the ULTIMATE spreadsheet!

The spreadsheet:
  • helps you plan what you will eat
  • tells you how much of each item, and how many packages to buy
  • helps you keep track of prices to make sure you buy items on sale
  • helps you keep track of what you have on hand vs. what you need to buy
Since not everyone is familiar with excel, I made a little youtube video tutorial too. Isn't technology fun! Click on the image to get to the post on our site that includes the spreadsheet and youtube video.



1 comment:

The Molcak's said...

I'm so glad you're doing this food storage thing, because to be honest, this whole topic SCARES me!!! I have no idea what actually can be stored and how to go about it! I've done some dry pack canning, but that's about it. I'll be more motivated once we move into our new house, but as for now, the thought of lugging them to a new place is overwhelming! haha