Saturday, July 18, 2009

Canada Trip!

At the end of June early July, Jeremy's extended Weiss Family had their reunion in Alberta. As you can image we were so excited to go and had a fabulous time! We were worried about Tyler in a car ride that long but he did amazingly well and enjoyed the trip as much as we did. I'm going to do a travel log now, mostly for my memories but hey - if you want to read it - go for it.

Friday June 26, 2009

We left around 2 and drove half way to Great Falls Montana.Tyler was awake the first 2 hours, slept the next 2, then after he couldn't take it anymore we stopped for a little picnic then drove on. The last couple hours he was asleep.

I bought him this little basket and called it his "Canada Basket". He was allowed to pick a handful of toys at the Dollar Store, but wasn't allowed playing with them until we were in the car. I think this actually really helped him be excited for the first day of 8 hours in the car.

Saturday June 27, 2009

We woke up and drove to Calgary. At the first gas station we stopped and got some all dressed chips. YUM! We went to Gary and Anita's house - Jeremy's aunt and uncle. We spent a little while visiting with them. I LOVE their family. Jeremy was living with them in Toronto when we met, so they feel like another set of real family to me.

We left Calgary with Matt- Jer's almost brother cousin and drove up to Edmonton. That 3 hour car ride was kind of long and boring- We had been in the car 5 hours already. OH WAIT- Before we did that car ride we Stopped at Harveys- DELICIOUS. Tyler had his first Hot Dog and LOVED it.

We got to Edmonton and settled in at the Hotel. Stan and Lori and the girls were in one room, us in the next and Mike and Jodi in the next. We all made it in around the same time. We took a 2 hour break in Calgary, while the Weiss car took a 2 hour GPS detour ;)

We went swimming that night and Tyler proved that he was deathly afraid of water. How can he be MY kid? I guess he takes after Jeremy in that regard. He loves shallow water but as soon as he feels like he is not in control in the deep end, even while being held he FREAKS out.

Later that night we went on a journey to find a Tim Hortons. Jeremy was driving with Matt and Tyler in our car, and I was with all the girls in another car. Jeremy is not the guy you want with you when finding your way around town- sorry my love. He started by having no idea where to go and then finished it up by purposely taking us on a wild goose chase. Jodi was starving and kinda mad ;) I figured out Jer was trying to be funny so I just laughed -I am married to a tease- I'm used to it. We ended up eating at Pizza 73, a chain bought by Pizza Pizza. It wasn't exactly like Pizza Pizza, but it was better then any Utah Pizza...





Sunday June 28, 2009

This was the day the whole group went to the West Edmonton Mall. It's a huge mall with a water park, amusement park, sea world type place and ice rink. Jeremy and Matt spent all day at the Waterpark. Lori and I took Lexi and Tyler around on all the little kiddie rides at the Amusement park. We're both not real ride fans, and being 5 months pregnant I'm not really allowed on any anyways.

For breakfast we went to Tim Hortons and Jeremy ate 5 donuts. I had one and Tyler munched on Jeremy's Boston Cream. After Tyler got one Donut, he yelled "WOOOOHOOOO" jumped up on the table and leaped over to the donut and took some more. I guess there is a food Tyler gets excited about.

For dinner that night the whole Weiss clan went to East Side Marios. It's not a restaurant I went to ALL the time growing up, but Jeremy went there before every hockey game and loaded up on pasta. Even though I didn't got there a lot, I LOVED it. Food is somehow just yummier in Canada. When we got there, Tyler was asleep and he barely woke up to eat. He played a "cho cho" game with Mikey and Lexi on Chairs afterwards.






Monday June 29, 2009

This was maybe one of the best and worst days of Jeremy's life. We woke up and he had one goal in mind. Find skates small enough for Tyler's feet. Well after a few phone calls we found a place called United Cycle. We drove over there and Jeremy was as happy as a little boy on Christmas morning. First we found the size 6 skates. The guys at the store thought he was pretty cute and that he had good balance.. hehe. Then we found the helmets and he LOVED it. He even insisted on wearing it in the car. Then we found the sticks and Tyler was so impressed that the guy cut it for him. He was sooooo into it, it was adorable! That was the "best" part of the day.

So after we got all the stuff, we drove back to the mall to meet the family at the ice rink. As we pulled into the mall parking lot Tyler fell asleep for a long overdo, NEEDED nap. We woke him up after about 30 seconds of being asleep and dragged him in anyways. He was kind of furious. So we got him all dressed and he would NOT cooperate. He was so tired he kept falling asleep. That was the "worst" part of the day for Jeremy. We finally left and Tyler was asleep before we got out of the parking lot. Poor little guy.

After the skating fiasco, we drove back to Calgary to have dinner with some of our good friends from Toronto that had moved out West. Matt Weiss, Carissa "Ormston" Molcak and Rob McDougal! It was so fun seeing them again and their way cute kids. We had a really nice BBQ at Carissa's house and just visited and caught up. It reminded me of fun times we had back home growing up. It's amazing how you can make lifelong friends in highschool, go years without talking and then feel totally at home with them again.

After the dinner we went back to Gary and Anita's and slept over. This is where Tyler fell in love with cousin Zach. Zach is Jeremy's cousin that is Jasmine's age and Tyler thought he was the coolest person ever. Zach did a great job playing and helping with Tyler all week at the reunion. We wanted to take him home with us. We had fun again visiting with Gary and Anita's family.





Tuesday June 30, 2009

Today was the Swiss Chalet day. YUM. We went with Gary and Anita's family and I somehow made it through the meal with only 3 sauces. I was too embarrassed to ask for a needed 4th. Tyler did a good job sleeping in the car rides for naps and loved Ketchup chips. He called them the "cool" chips.

After lunch we traveled down to Cardston to the actual reunion part of the trip. The drive wasn't too bad, only a couple hours or so and Tyler slept so it was pretty easy. We go to the hotel and started visiting with people. There was a dinner at the church near Jo-Annes house and Tyler kept trying to escape over and over again. We have to be so careful with him. There is no assuming he'll just play in one spot for more then 30 seconds.





Wednesday July 1, 2009

HAPPY CANADA DAY! This was a fun Canada Day! The whole family (extended around 50 people) went on a rafting trip down a river just off where Jeremy's Grandparents lived when they were first married. We even got to get off the rafts and go see inside the old house. The house was abandoned and falling down but it was still interesting. There was all sorts of wood working and you could see some great personality in the house even though it was almost gone.

The raft trip itself was pretty fun. I was a little terrified about Tyler trying to escape the raft, however turns out he was scared to death and stayed holding onto my hand the whole time. It was the easiest time to watch him because he didn't move! After the raft trip, there was a big lunch put on by the rafting company that Jeremy's cousin works for. It was the first time I was hungry the whole trip because we had been on a raft for a few hours! (yes I pigged out a little while we were in the good old land of the TREATS!)

After the raft trip there was a big game night and visiting night back at the hotel. I did all the little girls hair as a tradition in a fancy up-do. I like doing 10 year old girls hair because they don't get picky or notice if there are flaws.

After the game night we went and saw fireworks. Tyler was a little unsure about them but he loved them. He did the blank stare he usually does when something is cool but unfamiliar.





Thursday July 2, 2009

This was the day the whole Weiss Clan went up to Waterton... A BEAUTIFUL national park of sorts with a little town inside and lake. Really! It was so breathtaking there. I love the mountains in Utah, however you don't see GREEN mountains that often. This place had it all. I want to go back and spend days there! We had a picnic lunch then spent the day in the shops, eating ice cream and hanging out. You would think by day 7 of a vacation you would want to go home, but I didn't ever want to leave!

This is the day that Lori got Tyler his Canada Pajamas "CANA JAMAS" that he LOVES LOVES LOVES, and I got tons of treats to bring home. I am gonna have to tell my doctor the weight gain at the next appointment was Canada induced, not pregnancy induced.

Later that night the reunion pretty much ended with a BBQ and some stories etc. Jeremy's family is a good family. I actually feel really blessed to like my in-laws so much. I have a lot of fun at his reunions and enjoy being with them.





Friday July 3, 2009

Drove home! We went straight since it was "only" 12 hours. We went a different way then Jeremy's parents and about half way through found out it was a race- We even won! haha! I wanted to trust the locals about which was was least confusing (Stan wanted us to follow him - but with no working cell phones and maps I stubbornly declined. I guess Helena Montana is where the two routes merge. We got there first even with a long bathroom break. Jeremy's sisters informed me he kept asking Lori to text us to find out where we were... I couldn't figure out why they cared so much. Needless to say it was kind of funny!

We got home late and crashed. Back to real life :(

No comments: